Sunday, April 14, 2013

The beginning of our Love Story!



So...Once upon a time...
 
It all started in November of 2011!
 
I am going to narrate the story as I see it, and Darcy will need to chime in his own. Ultimately we had the same ideas, not necessarily the same goals when that November came around.
 
I was content with being single, wink wink! If you really think that I wasn't...think again. I had gone and given up on men, ok not completely giving up but really wondering who was going to sweep me off my feet.  I remember, and this is a quote from my journal, saying "God, you really are going to need to surprise me with someone I least suspect and sweep me off my feet!"
 
But then there was this guy...named Darcy! He was quiet but witty, intellectual...but someone I found myself teasing or laughing with. Darcy well, was Darcy, the guy that you could find his nose in a book or walking around in a cycling kit, looking like he just came in from the Tour de France.
 
Then, there was me! Content with being busy, working full time, and finding pleasures in the little things! I was too busy to catch me with a book in my hands, and found most of my spare time poured into Starbucks, or ministry. I found ways to give back and love people.
 
Then Darcy, asks this unsuspecting young lady to supper!
 
Now, as I am getting ready for this Supper...I felt bad, I didn't want to go but something inside of me was like you really need to go. So, the something won out...and the part of me that didn't want to go says, you know you can always just tell him you want to be friends, the friend speech was ready, prepped and by this point I had it sounding wonderful.
 
So as we were at Supper talking and laughing and of course the teasing that I was only eating lettuce and getting to know each other. The something inside that didn't want to be there, had a change of heart, and the little voice inside...says, this is it put away your friend speech! Now, without sounding all dramatic, this was a physical change too. Darcy saw it, my eyes changed, as my heart was changed. Something about that evening together, swept me off my feet. I don't think I could've hid it if I tried.
 
So as we were getting use to each other being around, this Darcy decides how fun it would be to hide things on me! One night, as my schedules intertwined and I was from one thing to the next. He decides to hide my keys on me, and then I go on a mad hunt for them, he watched me notice that they were gone and I set out to look for them, I started retracing my steps through the whole entire church, out to the parking lot to my car and back. You know...I didn't hate him for it...I just thought of ways...that I could get him back! Not sure if he regrets taking the keys now, or thankful I stuck around for pay back!
 
I will tease Darcy every day until the end of our lives!

This was the start of our love story...
 
Since then we have had many adventures together, supporting each other in fun adventures of bike racing, learning aspects of the feed zone, and then driving around commissaries (I made a great volunteer at bike races, not to mention the coffee provisions) and then I getting a road bike for myself, learning the trails of Calgary, and heading out for a crazy ride from Lake Louise to almost Field! Life is fun and entertaining with us around. Relationships take compromise and in adjusting our lives together Darcy no longer hates the Canucks! But watching a Flames vs Canucks game with us...can be entertaining for all! And then the supporting each other through miserable times, like our friend Wilbur who was competing for attention in all this.
 
How it continues!
 
Well, for some those that keep wondering and thought it was rude to ask! Well, the ring is on the finger! No massage chair for anyone (sorry Youth boys) though it is a great idea to pair with the TV that Darcy has gained long term access to. Most of you know that I just recently had surgery, the story of Wilbur is in the post below. But he finally had his party and is now out of our lives forever! Darcy is now joking that he was going to propose just when I made it out of surgery, but something about me being drugged up, I am sure he wanted me to remember this moment. But that isn't what happened! There were also plans of heading out to the mountains this weekend, but due to mother nature and some crazy snowfall warning for the Calgary area, that wasn't going to happen.
 
It was a snowy April day in Calgary, and like Grandma use to say, make sure you have your boots handy! But I do have to add the weather this week has had to be less than desired. But Mother Nature did thwart the plans of extravagance to make it a moment that I love more than ever.
 
So the moment it happened, Friday April 12, 2013, the day was beautiful and chilly! During the afternoon, I was out with a friend for coffee, we were even talking about engagement as she is getting married on Monday evening and I was unsuspecting at that moment of anything happening. Even to the point that I thought I would crawl into bed to have a nap at 5 pm because I was a little tired. He was even nice enough to let me nap until 6, apparently I wasn't to fall asleep on him that night.
 
So our conversation went a little like this, D - did you sleep? J - not really? D - you ate? J - Lunch or Supper? D - Feel like getting dressed up? J - No sweats? D - No! (as I am still laying in bed, at this point, no urgency to get up) J - What time? D - On my way!
 
So, in the matter of time that he was on the way I managed to throw myself together! But I had it figured it out, a small detail of me being so intuitive sometimes, it was at this point, I was like...it is going to happen tonight! When Darcy showed up at the door, he came in with a mission, even leaving the door open. We headed into the house, and he says, well Mother Nature thwarted these plans, and I am not sure you can wait much longer! And he bends down to one knee...and pops a ring out of his pocket...and pops the question. After answering, 'Maybe tomorrow' I couldn't wait for a response; it was of course "YES!!!" (With exactly three exclamation marks) I am actually not sure how the ring ended up on my finger (smooth moves).  Darcy has made me so incredibly happy, and so amazed by God in this whole journey.
 
The fun part of all this, is realizing how our lives have most likely crossed since we were children, Darcy grew up in the same church that my Grandparents were a part of, I use to visit my grandma lots in Calgary, attending church with her. My Grandpa was a plumber back in the day, and he installed plumbing in Darcy's parent’s house. We realize we know the same people, in different circles of our lives, or our families are connected somehow.
 
It really is more than being swept off of my feet, it is God perfectly matching lives in the right time, in the right place.
 
This story is to be continued...as our journey moves forward and onward! With many adventures to come and thanks to all of you that have been along with us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Joelle & Darcy
So very happy for you both.
God Bless
Sheri

Thailand said...

Thanks for sharing!
I like the humble honesty in your story!
It is awesome to see Godf bless people in
the big and small ways. So happy for you.
It is a really good thing. Will be praying
for you for sure.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You absolutely sound like a match made from Heaven!
Anna