I have been notorious for doing things last minute (nobody ask me about Mexico, please), just avoid the planning, the anxiety of wondering, if you are going to do it, just get it done, no need for the suspense, asking permission or any of that. The best times and memories I have is when I just go and do things, many times it ends up with me packing in five minutes and running out the door, but it is worth it.
Coming here, my spontaneous nature is still there, I have done it a few times, like running into my brother, and getting swept away for the weekend to spend time with family. Then most recently, jumping on a plane and heading to Mombasa.
And we are off, Surprising, no. Exciting, yes!
That was it, I was sold about two weeks ago, my friend Kate here, sent me a message, it went like this:
Kate: Mombasa sounds great, do you want to go?
Joelle: yep, sure thing...how much?
Kate: good deals, just waiting on confirmation from friends there for next weekend.
Joelle: ok, sounds fabulous!
So that was it, through Kate's great idea, and spontaneous nature, I was on board for anything, anything that sounded different, getting out of town, and perhaps involved a beach with sun.
From the past month here in Nairobi, we both were suffering from homesickness, stress, indecisiveness about our futures here on the mission field, and needed sometime to let loose, well as much as missionary single women could let loose.
Friday night we found ourselves, stuck in traffic on our way out to the airport, Kate was sure that we were missing our flight. I decided how it was story time, and I thought I was going to miss a flight, but it ended up being delayed instead, at least that passed the time. I knew that no matter what we would get there...even if we were going to jump on a passing piki (just like in the movies), yes I can hear you now...life is never dull around me. But the thought of beach...getaway...was insight, there was determination...that we were going no matter what.
We did make it to the airport, Kate needing assistance was glad for a friend to be along, we were wide eyed and all smiles, chatting, excited, ready for the beach...the realities of Nairobi...slipped away quickly.
We arrived to be picked up by friends that Kate met on her journey here in Africa, the feeling of the coastal humid and warm air as we walked off the airplane was refreshing, I had drank in the air of relaxation. Our first stop was dinner, some good Indian food on the Indian Ocean, what a way to start our weekend. It was fabulous. Due to the time of Ramadan, there were very few restaurants open, but I was thankful going for Indian. Just so you know going for Chinese/Mexican just sounds wrong here compared to home.
The next morning started early, we woke up and headed downstairs at 8 am...and it was beach time. I couldn't tell who was more excited...us or the two little girls in the family we were staying with, who were 4 and 2. We ended up at the beach by 9:30 am. We walked through the resort...through the open doors into paradise. I have the pictures to prove it...those will come later.
Then that afternoon, Kate and I ended up married. Well you ask...how did that happen? I am glad you asked.
Well that afternoon our ventures took us out to the market, the friends that we were staying with warned us to cover up, to dress in long skirts, heads covered, long sleeved shirts, this would protect us from being harassed. Well we got to the market, we started walking, checking out things but the time we ended up down the street...we made a friend, we walked across the street, we had another friend. We made a comment that I think that guy is following us, we were quickly reassured by our first friend that he was ok. Within the 1/2 hour that we were there, there was about 5-6 men with us. I started to joke that they were our personal shoppers, we were no soon say that we were looking for something, and it would appear. After an invite down an alley, I overheard Kate telling one of the guys that we were married, to big men, and surprising enough we were both from Canada. We still were invited down another alley.
To say the least we did arrive safely at home, no one followed us home, we are pretty sure. Enjoyed a fun night of games and Mexican food (homemade so it was great).
We went to church the next morning, it was great, this church was one of the larger churches, about 500 people. It was great to be in a large church, I felt like I was at home...minus the A/C, and great worship. After lunch, we headed to the beach again for one last dip. While Kate was out splish splashing in the Indian Ocean, I fell asleep poolside, it was so relaxing.
By that evening, we finished up dinner, and headed back to the airport. I turned to Kate at one point and was like...that was not long enough, next time a couple more days, ok?
Those two days were busy but a much needed break from the life of Nairobi, I have to say that Mombasa is a different world, a place that is culturally rich and makes it evident. It's amazing! I was just in awe over what I saw, to me this was more than a vacation.
This retreat away, was much needed and provided much clarity, what I was holding on to with my health, with my future, and life. I have given away to God what I can't handle, so I can continue being the person God made me to be, to do what He has called me to do, and to be used in a way that I can only imagine what His will is for my life.
As I think about my friends back home, this time of year is special to me, it is the retreat weekend, I am not there to be able to organize it, makes me very sad. But I know that God will speak to you, and to use you in what direction He is calling on your life. I pray that you sense the presence of God this weekend, that you will draw Him closer to you, that you would be able to give up the chains that you are holding so closely to your heart, and be open to Him.
This month for me is a month of new beginnings, I am starting a singles ministry at the church, next weekend is the first gathering. Tomorrow I am going on a famine relief trip, I am eager to see other parts of Kenya, to be reminded that I am blessed, but also to see what our church is involved in. I am getting to know the church and how they serve the community, to understand my ministry.
I hope you all back home have a great weekend...find Rest in God.
No comments:
Post a Comment