Wednesday, February 3, 2010

It's getting Hot in here!

So it is late afternoon, and this week it has been a warm week in Nairobi. My office unfortunately doesn't have air movement (lacking a fan) so it is warm! I am not complaining...not at all, my thought today was that it is odd to be so hot, in February, this is when my body usually is freezing or frozen, waiting for the thaw of April to come. I am blessed to be so warm. This week the dry season has definitely come to town, it will be this way until March, so I am enjoying it while I can.

Well the milestone of only 100 days left has come and passed...wowsers! I officially will be home in 98 days. Really not that long if you think of it. Right now it is in the talk that I will head out to BC for the first week I am home, I know it is terrible for those in Calgary, but for my sister I can hardly wait. So that is in the plans right now, nothing like diving into things when I return. I will be in a state of shock of being overwhelmed. If you want to get together with me when I return, let me know, I am trying my best at organizing group meetings to share my stories and experiences with everyone.

This past weekend was the AIM Ladies retreat, and yes this was my first ladies retreat that I have ever been to, and possibly the first in many years that I did not plan. Wow, that says alot! It was a great day, as the theme was about prayer and there were many veteran missionary ladies and some still green (quite new) I was blessed to be with them. There was lots of laughter, coffee, and sweet desserts for all. I even was spoiled to a pedicure that afternoon, though dropping your cell phone on your foot hours before...not recommended, as I quickly learnt that I had bruised and cut my toe, just below the nail bed. Ouch! The highlights of the day, having a pedicure, trying my creativity at Wall Art...(guess what Jennine???), and being well known in all circles of the missions world.

Oh yes, that leads to a story...so as I spent the day introducing myself to people, and yes indeed wearing a nametag, people would glance down and be like, are you any relation to Todd Dubber? Why yes of course, he is my brother. Now, for some I voiced before I left, that I would be known as Todd's sister for this year in Kenya. It started, only nine months into my year! Well, the best reaction in introducing myself was at dinner, the lady sitting next to me introduce herself, I turned and introduce myself, and then like I was Angelina Jolie, "Oh my goodness you are Joelle, I have always wondered and wanted to meet you" in this high pitched scream, I turned around, almost shocked...I was like, I feel famous! And you could only imagine that it got more dramatic then that! And then around the table, it was a hum of oh yes, I have heard about you too, your family talks about you all the time.

WOW!

That is my brush with fame, no autographs please!

Well this morning it was beautiful, I was fooling around and figured that I haven't posted many pictures of myself, here I am on my way to work!


No comments: