Thursday, March 4, 2010

Favourite Olympic Sport

Well as my random blog this week I am going to say what I love to watch during the olympics.  Since I didn't get a chance to watch any of the competitions yet I think that I can change the question to be, after all the olympics are over what is the one sport or match or game that I wished I got to see.

Well, I am a true Figure Skater fan, I have watched the great ones as Elizabeth Manley, and Brian Orser competed in 1988.  The Kurt Browning and Elvis Stoyko.  Nothing beats the anxiety of watching and waiting for excellence or a little slip.  The heart breaking story of Joannie got me here, I read stories of the tragic news that her mother died and how she continued skating.  Yes, there is a tear in my eye even as I recall the moments.  Way to go, to a wonderful woman, with the strength and courage to go on and win a medal for our country!  I also, wished I got to see the ice dancing pairs as they gracefully glide on the ice, I remember Shaelynn Bourne and her partner do it last!

Well, a close tie with Figure Skating a completely different type of sport, Men's Hockey...now there is only a few games that you can ever miss in the world, All Star Hockey, World Tournaments and Olympic Hockey, now if you want to see the best of the best...stay tuned.  All I can say is that I wished that I got to see that game, I was nervous before I went to bed that night, for excitement that was yet to come.  I would like to say the cheering woke me up, but that was not to be this year!

Now, one of those weird sports that I like watching, sometimes not all the time is curling, it is memorizing but also exciting at the same time.  It is a slower sport but is also one of those sports as strategic as it may be, changes at any moment.  Another sport that Canada took Gold in that I am proud to say is a good sport to watch.

That would be all the ones that I would be interested in, others like skeleton and luge, bobsleigh, and skiing...not too much of an art for me...start at the top...slide down.  Oh and try not to get hurt along the way!

Now if you were to ask someone here, Winter Olympics was not much of an excitement on their radar.  The reactions were, oh yeah those are on, hockey? what do you mean?  Curling? that's a sport? So with all that harassment, on top of it not proudly displaying my Canadian flag in the office, who knew?  I continually am being razzed as I am not Canadian, because I don't speak french and I am not a proud Canadian.  If only I know I had to adorn myself in the Canadian Maple Leaf, I would've come much more prepared.

So...as a proud Canadian, and proud of the Vancouver Olympics...hats off to everyone in Canada for making the pride and patriotic excitement reach to Africa, and beyond! 

No comments: