So I thought I would put out an update of how things were going and things I could use prayer on. As I looked at he calendar there is only 106 days to go until I return to Calgary. A time I am looking forward to and a time that I am terrified of too. There is so many friends and family that I miss, it has been hard to be separated by distance but we have created greater bonds through each other that can’t be replaced. Now you think bible school puts you in a bubble…but outside of living in the hardest city ever, I have been living in a bubble, my transition to life in general is going to be difficult. With this anticipation I pray that my heart will be prepared, with strength and discernment.
City life, well, I will be the first to admit that city life here, is hard. I generally have a strong dislike to certain aspects of this city to be honest. There are the days that I have been ready to come home, and then there are days that I embrace the struggles and hardships that God has given me strength to get through. I feel blessed in knowing that I am not going to give up the race, that even in my naivety of coming here, I am a stronger person and can’t give up this experience in my life.
Health, well this one can go on and on, I am doing great in my health, basic things like colds, and flu have passed…I hope. Mom sent out gallons of vitamins, I am not over exaggerating (thanks Kev for bringing them out, even though it was suppose to be one bottle).
The other thing, this past summer I was pre-diagnosed with PCOS, it is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I say pre because I haven’t been able to under go all the tests required, I am currently being treated on hormones to balance mine. I am grateful that this was discovered but at the same time, with a life of change, I have been adjusting to the change of hormones.
I have also most recently in the last few months been really suffering with insomnia, I say suffering because most weeks I can get about 15 hours of sleep per week. Then I get a day of great sleep, mostly because I am exhausted then the week continues without sleep. I have prayed into this every night, I have even been able to pray for each one of you as I spend my nights wide awake. I have sought out spiritual help, and I am reaching out for those to continue praying.
Security, there has been quite a few carjacking’s this last couple of weeks, so prayer for safety on the road would be appreciated. The police have pulled me over three times in two days, the experience was not as bad as it could be but you know me...I know how to pull on the charm.
Ministry, well the rumours that I have been not busy are true. I really have been working but just not as busy as I would like to be, I have learnt that I love to be hard at work, challenged and busy. None of which I have been in the last 6 1/2 months. I have picked up the odd job around the Hangar, helping with big projects like the AIM Air Safety Manuals, and redoing the AIM Short term intro package...providing more information than I had coming over here. Also, lots of work went in with the AIM Air LMB accident, and the Didinga evacuation. So I have put in lots of work, I have been helping out in little ways of getting our AIM - IS newsletter out twice per month for the remaining time that I am here, and where ever a hand is needed...I am there.
Now the Director of IS has returned, today is his first day in the office. from Home assignment. He has assured me...that I will not be "Bored", does that scare me? Nope! Looking forward to it! I also am pretty sure I get to meet a VIP today, I don't think it is top secret but I will save it for another post!
Singles Ministry, so the singles ministry at church has been quiet, only because December event was combined with a church event and being busy with Christmas I didn't plan anything, then I got sick. By the time I returned to church I found out that the church had hired a Pastor for the Youth, to take on that ministry as well as the singles in the church. Imagine my excitement as there was someone to take on the ministry as I am only here for a short time. So, pray as I continue to plan events along side of Pastor Ken, and that we find ways to reach out to the singles in the church community.
Future, I have give thought to my future, lots of thought, this attributes to one sleepless night (or two). I will tell you all here, that I don't know what to do. This is good, God has me on my knees, continuing to bring everything in prayer and petition, relying on Him for my future. My immediate look is at the unknowns for when I return home, I am in need of a job, a place to live (though I will be with the parents for a short time). Those are the immediate needs, I have begun job searching, looking into some companies for opportunities available, including back at Airgas would be my first choice, but even there, is lots of unknowns. The reports I hear are bleak, not being discouraged is key.
My full term application arrived last week, I am in the process of filling it out, it goes indepth so it will take a while. I don't feel a strong desire to return to Nairobi, but in filling out this application, I want to be open to where God wants me to be. If that means coming back to Kenya to serve in some way, then that is it. My niece, Cassidy, loves having me around, we are close, almost best friends close. Before I even mentioned that I was thinking of being open to coming back she said, "Aunt Joelle, you should come back and work at RVA, be a dorm mom, and work in the business office". I have been praying about that too, RVA is Rift Valley Academy, a school to missionary kids, for missionaries serving throughout Africa. If you can pray with me on this, I would appreciate it. If I was to return, it is looking like it would be August or September of 2011.
So that is it, I didn't realize that it was going to be this long of a update, I have a prayer letter coming out, soon. I appreciate all your love and prayers in support for the time that I have been here and the time remaining. I am grateful for you as a team!
Be Blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment