Friday, April 30, 2010

I get it!

Ok, I heard you all from so far away...where is Joelle???  No blog post all week, you would think that I disappeared or something crazy!

Well I am thankful for Facebook but apologize for not being on my blog.  I have had great intentions of posting...

Well, it has been one of those weeks at the office that has just been flying by, but it also has been a week that I don't think I have been in the office that much either.  Every day this week I managed to leave early or be MIA, the results were to get a gift for my boss as today was his last day.  My assignment was to get a photo framed in less than two days...Don't worry I did it!

The lady that I made friends with at the frame store was great.  We discovered in my second visit there, that she has done lots of work for my brother.  Small world!  She is always so excited to see me that it makes it a fun visit, and we usually have a great chat to boot.

This week has also had its funny moments, ok so I have a knack...of having unique experiences.  Ha ha...well said.  Last night a group of us made our way across town to see a high school play called Suessical, it was great fun and just brilliant.  I managed to get the attention of random people on the way there, while I stayed safely in my car...

Today...I almost died laughing...now this is a funny story!!!

I was getting some supplies from our receptionist, while I was there two other Kenyan guys walked up.  The receptionist Rosemary started talking to one of the young men beside me in Swahili.  She started asking the guy how many cows and goats he had.  Now for those that don't understand where this is going...a Kenyan man usually pays for his wife in goats and cows.  For some reason the word has left me as to what it is called.  The guy told the lady that he only had 2 cows and I think 50 goats. 

Well, me...in the middle of this conversation felt that I was being left out of the swahili talk, I lately just pipe in my swahili word of the day.  Today it was kitogo.

So this is how the conversation goes:

Rosemary:  How many goats and cows do you have?  You should keep this beautiful woman, offer her something.
Young man: I only have 2 cows and 50 goats
ME: Kitogo - mean...'very little' (and I exit and leave the conversation)

I left the group in laughter, I thinking that they are laughing because I just offered my word of the day.

I came back downstairs to hear the story, ha ha ha...made for a good laugh to the end of my day.

No comments: