Well, here is a recap of my week!
Last Friday I was eagerly awaiting news that my friend from Canada had made it into Nairobi. Thursday afternoon before I left the office I had just seen a quick news clip, not thinking much more about Rachel coming in I went off on my way. That night we were joking with Charlie, who has been visiting here in Kenya since January, because of delaying his flight and then being canceled due to the BA strike, if he was actually going home. He was like, yeah nothing will stop me now! Half way through dinner, I was like the funniest thing happened today that I read, that all flights are canceled into London. Now you all know me, it could've come across as the best prank even if it wasn't true. Charlie thought I had him going, and it just happened to be that Randy got on the phone with his dad who was on his way out here too and went along with everything I said. Charlie didn't believe me, he really thought I had a joke going and Randy was playing along.
Well the next day I got a call from Rachel, she made it...it was wonderful! It was great to hear updates from home and as I prepare to go back and to receive a few items that I was very grateful for. We met up for dinner and talked until she had to catch her bus. It was a great time!
Some of the funnies that happened that night...well we met up at a Mall that I usually don't get to so I decided to head up early, I also had to pick up something for work, so I made it a 2 for 1 trip, worthwhile in the traffic here. I was also told by a close friend that the shoe store that is here, called Bata, has some cute sandals that are worth taking home and they are cheap. So once I went and picked my 'errand' up, I will post pictures of that later, I decided to check out the shoe store. Once I entered I remembered why I didn't like the store...it is hot and stuffy and not comfortable to endure shoe shopping. So I toured the store in discomfort, I finally found a pair that I thought were cute and snazzy! They were a whooping $5.98, so what is a girl to do when she finds a sweet deal like that??? Keep looking...so all in all I found a couple pairs of shoes, they won't last very long but are worth it over the cuteness.
But the story just doesn't stop there...while I was trying on shoes in the store the salesman that came to help me, I started some small talk and was being nice. I actually tried on a pair of heels and was surprised when they were comfortable, he said "really??". I was like, "you haven't tried these out yourself?". So by the end of the visit, the man asked where I was from and said that he has always wanted to visit Canada. But then...there is more...while I was standing at the cash desk, there was this man there that said something funny, so I just smiled to myself. Well, he noticed and was like, I like you smiley friend. I left thinking, ok...I just make random friends everywhere it seems. Well what almost made me laugh out loud, was while I was leaving...two guys outside the store caught my attention and were like, "hello, beautiful". I thought that was the icing on the cake.
So, later that night I was on my way home...traffic has been bad for some reason around the city at odd times. It was late, but not too late and the way I decided to go home was fairly clear, until one of the only hills I came across, traffic was backed up. Now, this is usually not a concern but I was driving a new vehicle for me, it is a van, that is manual transmission (with the left hand) and the clutch lets out high. So, as I approached down the hill before it went up...I prayed hard. When I got on the hill...traffic continued to move...and then it stopped....well I didn't really panic but it was cause for a rapid heart beat and sweat. I made it up the hill...but once at the top we stopped again. This time it wasn't too bad but then time for the ultimate laugh for the night.
the car next to me, noticed that my window was down...and decided to pass on greetings.
Now...I need to describe the family vehicle that I am driving....is a mini van, sort of like the old Toyota model vans...with no nose and is tall and skinny and long.
You know...me and Rachel were talking about how you in Canada think that marriage proposals just get handed out....this would be a good example.
The rest of the weekend was great, our office had an Ice Cream Social with homemade ice cream and all the toppings you can ever imagine. I made a chocolate sauce that tasted the better than I thought would turn out.
Saw Mt. Kilimanjaro from the office that day...a rare sighting but beautiful once again...that means that I have seen it three times in the last month.
So...I have been blessed with funny things this week to make it a light week!
No comments:
Post a Comment